Literature and Performance

Summer 2010

Still I Rise By Maya Angelo

July 22nd, 2010

Maya Angelou

I chose this poem because it is an inspiring poem about overcoming great obstacles/oppression. I get such a rush when I read this poem, truly one of the greatest to emerge from many of her works. The first time I read this poem was in high school, and I honestly fell in love. Angelou does a great job of giving readers a visual look to what she is trying to describe in her poetry. For example, when she says ” you may shoot me with you words, you may cut me with your eyes, you may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I rise”. Every word read runs throughout my entire body with the passion and desire to continue reading. I have and will always appreciate Maya Angelou works, because she began her career when Black Americans were looked at differently than White Americans, and she used that negativity to motivate her to write powerful works.

R09_0028  Hands by Sarah Kay

This is a reading that I chose to read because I love the way how the writer describes the importance of hands, and basically tells some of the worth of having hands. This is a piece I’ve always wanted to perform, I love how to  the words are very powerful and make you want think of all the times you used your hands to shame, or show emotion towards someone or an object. This is kind of short but I really wanted to perform this work, I LOVE this piece!

Powered by WordPress. Theme by Sash Lewis.